Technical Writing Fundamentals
32 Hours / 180 Days / Self-Paced
In this course students will be introduced to the basics of technical writing through hands-on writing projects. Students will learn the process of technical writing including identifying the audience, organizing the content, and document revision. Students will also learn good document design. Students will practice their skills on various kinds of documents and writing types, including writing for the web, definitions, descriptions, instructions, reports, and basic business communications.
ATTENTION: This course has a strict start and end date. When a student enrolls into this course, they will need to work with one of our Training Assessment Managers (TAMs) to choose a start date before they can be enrolled in their course.
- Students will identify how technical writing is used and the processes and teams involved in technical writing.
- Students will create a plan to analyze readers and organize documents.
- Students will choose a tone organization and format to write letters, memos and emails.
- Students will plan the organization of their documents and make revisions to style and language.
- Students will organize and plan writing for the web.
- Students will plan and write definitions and descriptions.
- Students will plan and write documents that explain procedures.
- Students will plan and write short and long reports.
- Students will write resumes and prepare oral reports.
- Students will create a portfolio of technical writing projects completed in the course.
All necessary materials are included.
Internet Connectivity Requirements:
- Cable and DSL internet connections are recommended.
- Minimum Pentium 400 Mhz CPU or G3 Macintosh. 1 GHz or greater CPU recommended.
- 256MB RAM minimum. 1 GB RAM recommended.
- 800x600 video resolution minimum. 1025x768 recommended.
- Speakers/Headphones to listen to Dialogue steaming audio sessions.
- A microphone to speak in Dialogue streaming audio sessions.
Operating System Requirements:
- Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 9, 10
- Mac OSX 10 or higher.
- OpenSUSE Linux 9.2 or higher.
Web Browser Requirements:
- Google Chrome is recommended.
- Firefox 13.x or greater.
- Internet Explorer 6.x or greater.
- Safari 3.2.2 or greater.
- Adobe Flash Player 6 or greater.
- Oracle Java 7 or greater.
- Adobe Reader 7 or greater.
Web Browser Settings:
- Accept Cookies
- Disable Pop-up Blocker.
** Outlines are subject to change, as courses and materials are updated. Software is not included with the purchase of the course, unless otherwise specified.
Students are responsible for the purchase and installation of the necessary course software. **